TERMIUM Plus®

The Government of Canada’s terminology and linguistic data bank.

composition of the atmosphere [1 record]

Record 1 2005-03-31

English

Subject field(s)
  • Astrochemistry and Cosmochemistry
  • The Earth (Astronomy)
  • Atmospheric Physics
CONT

The composition of the atmosphere -its gases and particles- plays a critical role in connecting human welfare with global and regional changes because the atmosphere links all of the principal components of the Earth system.

CONT

Present Composition of the Atmosphere. The atmosphere is comprised of gases which are considered to be permanent (gases which remain essentially constant by percent) and gases considered to be variable (gases which have changing concentrations over a finite period of time). PERMANENT gases in the atmosphere by percent are: Nitrogen = 78.1%; Oxygen = 20.9%. Note that these two permanent gases together comprise 99% of the atmosphere. Other permanent gases: Argon = 0.9%; Neon = 0.002%; Helium = 0.0005%; Krypton = 0.0001%; Hydrogen = 0.00005%. VARIABLE gases in the atmosphere and typical percentage values are: Water vapor = 0 to 4%; Carbon Dioxide = 0.035%; Methane = 0.0002%; Ozone = 0.000004%.

OBS

composition of the atmosphere: term standardized by ISO.

Key term(s)
  • atmosphere composition
  • atmosphere's composition

French

Domaine(s)
  • Astrochimie et cosmochimie
  • Terre (Astronomie)
  • Physique de l'atmosphère
DEF

Proportion relative de chacune des substances qui forment l'atmosphère terrestre.

CONT

La composition de l'atmosphère est assez hétérogène. La masse principale est constituée par un mélange gazeux, l'air sec, auquel s'ajoutent une très faible proportion d'aérosols ainsi que de l'eau soit sous forme condensée (liquide ou solide) soit à l'état de vapeur. Ainsi sur les dix tonnes qui représentent à peu près la masse de l'atmosphère au-dessus d'un même carré de sol, au niveau moyen de la mer, il y a 9,98 tonnes d'air, un peu moins de 20 kilogrammes d'eau (soit l'équivalent de 20 mm d'eau pluviale) et environ un kilogramme de matériaux solides divers très finement divisés dont une très faible partie de micro-organismes.

OBS

Dans l'homosphère, jusqu'à cent kilomètres d'altitude, la composition chimique de l'atmosphère est homogène, c'est-à-dire relativement stable. Plus haut, dans l'hétérosphère, la composition de l'atmosphère est qualifiée de stratifiée.

OBS

composition de l'atmosphère : terme normalisé par l'ISO.

Spanish

Campo(s) temático(s)
  • Astroquímica y cosmoquímica
  • Tierra (Astronomía)
  • Física de la atmósfera
DEF

Características físico-químicas de la atmósfera.

Save record 1

Copyright notice for the TERMIUM Plus® data bank

© Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2019
TERMIUM Plus®, the Government of Canada's terminology and linguistic data bank
A product of the Translation Bureau

Features

Language Portal of Canada

Access a collection of Canadian resources on all aspects of English and French, including quizzes.

Writing tools

A collection of writing tools that cover the many facets of English and French grammar, style and usage.

Glossaries and vocabularies

Access Translation Bureau glossaries and vocabularies.

Date Modified: